Radical Stewardship - Financial Seminar - Pastor Murray Coughlin
Sunday, September 17th, 2023
Money affects so much of our lives and is referenced more than any other topic in the Bible --
Radical - Radicalis -
- to be rooted -
- Whatever you Believe is what you will practice and live by
Luke 16 - The Parable of the Shrewd Manager
Shrewd - to act with foresight and insight - planning for the future.
- we need to be prudent planners for the future - including in matters of finance -
Where are YOU in your finances?
- once you know where you are then you can figure out how to get where you want to go...
1. Be Honest -
- if you're lost - admit it-
- if your finances are a mess, it doesn't do you any good to pretend things are fine
2. Be Open -
- Show & Tell
3. Be Thoughtful -
- How did I end up in this spot?
4. Be Emotional -
- It's ok to get worked up in this area...
- Get scared... let it motivate you to make course corrections!
- Get Hopeful! There is still time to turn things around!
Fundamental Law of Economics -
"00" law of finance...
Principle 2: Set some financial goals
- S - Smart - well-defined, clear goals
- M - Measurable
- A- Attainable
- R - Realistic
- T - Timely - have a time/target date
Write your goals down!
- 42% are more likely to reach goals when they write them down!
- Put your goal (in picture or writing) somewhere you will SEE it often to remind you!
1. Make a Commitment to God!
- God always comes first!
- Give your first 10% to God!
- Proverbs 16:3 - "Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed."
2. Get Help from Informed People -
- Proverbs 21:5 - "The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty."
3. Invoke the Old MacDonald Law of Economics... "EI- EI- O"
- Expected Income
- Expenses Incurred
- FIRE - Find Income - Reduce Expenses
4. Manage your spending - be a good steward of your finances
1- God comes first
- Matthew 6:33-34 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
- Malachi 3:10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.
- 2 Corinthians 9:6-8 Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. 7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
2- Then the taxman - CRA- As Christians, we need to give to the Gov't what is due...
- the CRA encourages us to give to God - you get almost 50% back whatever you give to charity (tithing/donations)
3-Then to you & your family... Saving for Rainy Days... - 3-6 months income saved for Emergency
- Proverbs 21:20 The wise store up choice food and olive oil,
but fools gulp theirs down.
4. Then your employer
- Proverbs 22:7 The rich rule over the poor,
and the borrower is slave to the lender.
How to Get out of Debt:
A prudent man sees danger and takes refuge...
- Stop credit card spending
- Pay off debts with highest interest first
- Contact Creditors
- Consider lifestyle adustments (ie: stop borrowing from family/friends etc...)
- Develop a budget
- Work out a payback plan
- Exercise Self-Discipline
- Don't buy it Today!
- Pay with Cash
- Drink water at restaurants
- Be a DIY-er
- Use the Library
- Don't go to movies (rent/borrow later)
- Frugal February (put off extra/unneccessary spending until March!)
- Seek counsel
- Learn to trust God!
6. Neighbors - Christianity taught the world CHARITY<3
Proverbs 11:24-25 NLT
Give freely and become more wealthy;
be stingy and lose everything.
25 The generous will prosper;
those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.
5- Plan for Retirement - talk to a financial planner/advisor
- start with RRSP
- learn about compound interest (passive income!)
- invest in mutual funds
- PAOC mortgage certificate
- PAOC gift annuity
6- Estate Planning
- Substitute Decision Maker - Power of Attorney - helps make financial decisions for you if you're not able.
- Create a WILL
James 4:13-14 13 Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.” 14 How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone.
WILLS - Traditional vs Charitable...
Matthew 6:19-21 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. 21 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.
Matthew 25:23 “The master said, ‘Well done, my good and faithful servant. You have been faithful in handling this small amount, so now I will give you many more responsibilities. Let’s celebrate together!’
*Next, click here to watch this full Seminar online: "Radical Stewardship" with Pastor Murray Coughlin.